Subway outlet shut after consumer finds cockroaches in drink


Day after a consumer lodged police complaint on spotting cockroaches in an aerated drink served by the fast food joint, the Subway outlet within the Hyderabad Central Mallpremises in Punjagutta was shut, on Thursday. Food inspectors from the Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation (GHMC) who raided the place also served a notice to the outlet for functioning under unhygienic conditions.

The incident that occurred on May 16 came to light after the consumer, Marunganti Vamshikrishna Reddy, took to social media to post his grievance. Within 24 hours, the post went viral with over 6,700 people sharing the footage showing Reddy questioning a female staff. “How can you serve cockroaches? My daughter had a cockroach in her mouth,” Reddy is heard asking the employee in the 2.19 minute-long video.

Recalling the incident while speaking to TOI, on Thursday, Reddy said: “When my daughter consumed the drink, she felt something moving in her mouth. When she spat it out, I found two live cockroaches. When I checked the cup and the lid, I found a few more.” He added: “When I confronted the staff, they themselves invited me to inspect the kitchen. But later, a woman employee reprimanded me for entering the area and accused me of misbehaviour.”

According to him, not only was the kitchen infested with cockroaches, but the staff was also reusing lids and cups. Reddy subsequently registered a complaint with the Punjagutta police and GHMC’s food safety department demanding action against those running the Subway franchise.

“We suspect that the staff had cleaned the outlet before we reached for inspection. Despite that, we found cockroaches in the storage room. We have served a notice to the owner who has decided to permanently close the outlet. We have also sent samples for testing. Further action will be taken based on the report,” said Bhargav Narayana, health and medical officer, GHMC.